The benefits of connecting with animals are many. Animals provide steadfast and dependable companionship. They provide us with opportunities to stay in the present moment – feeling a dog lick our hand makes it easy to forget our troubles. The fact that they depend on us for their health and happiness helps us feel loved and needed. And the health benefits of animal relationships are many: decreased blood pressure, better resistance to stress, less asthma and allergies, increased exercise and outdoor activities, more opportunities for socialization, and less likelihood of depression and loneliness. But most of all they provide a beautiful example of unconditional love and acceptance.
This symbol indicates programs that are available in-person or by video
All programs can also be done outdoors in nice weather or with overhead cover (except Exotic Animal Education)
- Blanket Making – We’ll start with pre-cut material and work together to make comfy blankets that you can send to a local animal shelter or rescue group, for their animals waiting to be adopted. (1 hour class plus cost of material). We can also schedule a field trip to the shelter so the participants can donate the blankets directly and meet the animals who will be using them.
- Pet Treats – We’ll make yummy dog and/or cat treats, and package them with a personal note to donate to a local animal shelter or rescue group, for their animals waiting to be adopted. (1 hour class for dog or cat treats, 90 minute class for both, plus cost of ingredients and packaging) Please provide an oven and clean-up sink.
- All About Therapy Dogs – A certified therapy animal and his/her guardian will visit you for an hour of furry love and education. Learn what is involved in therapy animal training, what kind of dog can be a therapy animal, and what rules the animals need to follow while they are working. Everyone is encouraged to pet the animal, but we also respect the wishes of those who prefer not to. (1 hour class)
- Exotic Animal Education – We partner with local wildlife rehab sanctuaries to bring exotic animals, reptiles, and birds to your community. This can include hedgehogs, rabbits, turtles, frogs, snakes, owls, hawks and vultures. We provide information and education about the animals and their habitats, and the group is able to see interesting and unusual animals up close. Touching is not permitted, and we respect the wishes of those who are afraid to see the animals up close. (1 hour class)
- Pony Visits – We bring a pony or a miniature horse to share some cute fun and education. This activity is always a big hit! Everyone is encouraged to pet the animals, but we respect the wishes of those who prefer not to. The animals hooves are wrapped so they don’t damage the floor, and they are trained not to “go” while inside the building. (1 hour class)
- Holiday Activity
Visit our Holiday Activities page for fun seasonal programs such as
- Christmas or Hanukkah Pony