There is nothing that takes away worries like burying your nose in a bouquet of flowers. As we breathe in the aroma, it awakens our deep and primal connection with the earth. It comforts us, and brings us into the present moment. The mere act of digging in the dirt and making a physical connection with the earth also makes gardening one of the most basic and primitive of all activities. Gardens are also living masterpieces, changing over time, and continually engaging our interest. And the fact that gardens depend on our attention and care in order to thrive, gives us a feeling of importance, and gives us wonderful surprises to look forward to.
All programs are available in-person or by video
All programs can also be done outdoors in nice weather or with overhead cover
- Container Gardening – An interactive slideshow with a hands-on planting activity. Learn how to create beautiful, versatile container gardens either indoors or out. Students will learn about preparation and placement of containers, soil, watering, sunlight, fertilizing, and starting from seed. We will also teach the principles of aesthetically-pleasing container garden design. A planting activity completes the fun! (1 hour class plus materials fee: $3 per person for a 2-3″ pot and seeds, $6 per person for a 3-4″ pot and one plant, $10 per person for an 8″ pot and 3 plants. We can also make 1-2 larger pots for public display – price varies, please contact us to discuss.) Flowering plants and seeds are usually available mid-May through July. Herbs and vegetables are usually available May 1 through July. Houseplants are usually available year-round. Please provide a computer, tv or projector for the slideshow.
- Garden Structures – An interactive slideshow with a hands-on building activity. Learn about the design of garden gazebos, pergolas, trellises, arbors, fences, and benches. We will also study how garden pergolas are built, and we’ll build a miniature model of a pergola for you to keep. (1 hour class plus $4 per person for materials) Please provide a computer, tv or projector for the slideshow
- Birdhouse Design – An interactive slideshow with a hands-on project. Learn about the different birds in our area, and what they look for when choosing a home to nest. Students will learn how bird houses are designed and built, and we will also see examples of beautiful, creative, and whimsical birdhouse designs. Please provide a computer, tv or projector for the slideshow. We have a choice of two projects for this class:
- Full-Size Birdhouse – We’ll build a birdhouse for you to place outdoors and enjoy watching the birds nest in it (1 hour class plus $20 for materials)
- Mini Birdhouses – Each participant will receive a pre-made birdhouse to paint as they desire. (1 hour class plus $4 per person for materials)
- Birdhouse Decorating – We will learn about birdhouse design from a professional birdhouse builder, and see some examples. Then each participant will receive a pre-made birdhouse to paint as they desire. (1 hour class plus $4 per person for materials)
- Wild Flower Planting – Each individual will receive a pot and soil to plant their seeds. First we’ll decorate the pots using paint/paintbrush or markers. (1 hour class plus $3 per person for materials)