Like all forms of art, music moves each of us in distinctly individual ways. Music is an integral accompaniment to all eras of our lives, past and present. Hearing a song from our past carries us back to that place in time, and reminds us of the sentiments and memories that we associate with it. Listening to a new piece of music stimulates our emotions and inspires our opinions in ways that define who we are and what we believe in. Sound and rhythm have been comforting expressions of human beliefs and emotions for thousands of years. Music and sound are therefore not only critical components of our history, but also have the power to positively affect and define our present, no matter what our current living situation might be.
All programs are available in-person or by video
All programs can also be done outdoors in nice weather or with overhead cover
- Music Sing-Alongs – A fun activity for all ages. Our musician plays guitar and sings, while inviting everyone to participate. We also bring small percussion instruments for everyone, to add to the fun! A short discussion of the history behind the songs adds an interesting educational look at songwriting. Create your own theme, choose one of ours, or mix and match! (1 hour program): American Classics, Patriotic, 50s & 60s Rock n Roll, Motown, American Spirituals, Inter-Generational, December Holidays, Valentine’s Day Love Songs
- Music and Movement – Upbeat movement sequences set to fun, catchy music. Using various handheld objects such as shakers, flags, and colorful ribbons we lead the group in dance-type exercises. It’s a great way to increase coordination and range of motion while having fun and elevating mood. It can be done either standing or seated. There is no “right or wrong” with the movements, so everyone can participate! No dance experience is necessary, and the complexity of the movements are geared towards the group’s level of ability. (1 hour class)
- Music Group Discussion – A musician performs songs, accompanied by guitar, that are specifically chosen to evoke memory, opinion, or emotion. Discussions are held after each song for the group to share the life experiences that the songs remind you of, and to talk about each person’s opinion of the piece. This gives participants an opportunity not only to share important past experiences, but to also express current viewpoints on several relevant subjects. (1 hour class)
- Good Vibrations – The Science of Sound – How is sound made? How does it travel through the air? What makes some sounds pleasant and other sounds unpleasant? This interactive class teaches the mechanics of sound vibrations through demonstrations of musical instruments, wind chimes, and our own voices. We will combine science with practical examples, and also have fun singing songs together with a guitar. (1 hour class)
- Musical Autobiographies – This activity starts with a wonderful discussion group where people bring lists of the songs that are meaningful to them, and share the stories and memories that make the songs so special to them. We then compile the songs and stories into a musical chronology of their life experiences on CD. The stories and memories are printed on the CD insert to explain the significance of each song. The CDs make wonderful heirloom gifts for family and friends, and are also excellent topics of discussion where participants learn new things about each other. (Time and cost varies, please contact us for options.
- Holiday Sing-Alongs
Visit our Holiday Activities page for fun seasonal programs such as
- Valentine’s Day Sing-Along
- Patriotic Sing-Along
- December Sing-Along