“Food, clothing, and shelter” form the essential triad of our basic needs, allowing all other aspects of our lives to flourish. And it is not insignificant that food is the first on the list! When we get together with family or friends, it’s often for lunch or dinner. Our holiday celebrations always have special food dishes associated with them. And the act of cooking allows each of us to connect with our sustenance, impart a piece of ourselves in what we create, and share it with those around us.
All programs are available in-person or by video
Click on the categories below, or scroll down, for a full program list
- Healthy Eating
- Cooking for Brain Health
- Gourmet Cooking
- International Cooking
- Desserts and Treats
- Wine and Cheese
- Holiday Treats
- Recipe Books
Back to top
- Have Your Cake and Eat it Too – Finally…desserts you can feel good about! Lighter and healthier options sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. We will discuss sweetener options and healthy ingredient substitutions. And we will make a recipe to eat in class. We can also provide a pamphlet of recipes for those who like to cook. (1 hour class plus ingredients)
- Happy and Healthy – New healthier twists on your old favorite recipes that will leave your taste buds happy…and your waistline too! And we will make a recipe to eat in class. We can also provide a pamphlet of recipes for those who like to cook. (1 hour class plus ingredients)
- Healthy Cooking For One or Two – For independent singles and couples. We teach how to cook healthy meals without a lot of fuss. Students learn how to prepare easy recipes, how to use ingredients to create more than one dish, and how to store ingredients and leftovers safely. They will also learn the importance of healthy eating, and tips for making healthy food choices. We can also provide a pamphlet of recipes for those who like to cook. (1 hour class)
- Healthy Pizza – Can pizza really be healthy? Yes! Home made pizza allows you to reduce the fat and calories, while still creating a delicious treat! Learn about healthy crust and topping options, and taste some delicious and healthy pizza. (1 hour class plus ingredients) Please provide a toaster oven, clean-up sink, plates and utensils.
Back to top
COOKING FOR BRAIN HEALTH
- Cooking for Brain Health – Learn about foods that help boost focus and memory, and reduce the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease. And we will make a recipe to eat in class. We can also provide a pamphlet of recipes for those who like to cook. (1 hour class plus ingredients)
Back to top
- Winter Soups – We will make delicious and hearty winter soups to help warm you up from the inside out (1 hour class to make 1 soup, or 90 minute class to make 2 soups, plus ingredients) Please provide a stove, clean-up sink, bowls and utensils.
- Spring Salads – We will welcome spring by making fresh, healthy and delicious salads (1 hour class to make 1 salad, or 90 minute class to make 2 salads, plus ingredients) Please provide a clean-up sink, plates and utensils.
- Vegetarian Gourmet – We will make and taste easy vegetarian recipes that are so delicious, you won’t miss the meat! Choose from BBQ Chickpea Patties, Peruvian Corn Cakes, Teriyaki Squash, Tofu Chorizo Pasta, Veggie Fried Rice Bowls, or White Bean Patties (1 hour class to make 1 recipe, or 90 minute class to make 2 recipes, plus cost of ingredients) Please provide cooking appliances (varies depending on recipe selected), clean-up sink, plates and utensils.
- Easy Appetizers -We will make some tasty and simple appetizers using everyday ingredients, that taste like gourmet treats. (1 hour class plus cost of ingredients) Please provide an oven, clean-up sink, plates and utensils.
- Hearty Casseroles – Perfect for Fall and Winter, these easy and delicious casseroles are sure to warm you from the inside out. (1 hour class to make 1 casserole, or 90 minute class to make 2 casseroles, plus ingredients). Please provide a stove, oven, clean-up sink, plates and utensils (alternatively, one of the casseroles can be made in a microwave)
Back to top
- Viva Mexico! – An interactive slideshow celebrating the people, culture and food of Mexico. Learn about the art, music, dance, customs, holidays, and festivities of Mexico while tasting some yummy Mexican food and listening to mariachi music. We will even learn how do the Mexican Hat Dance! (Can be either a 1 hour or 90 minute class, plus cost of ingredients) Please provide food prep area (no cooking required), clean-up sink, plates and utensils. Please also provide a computer, TV or projector for the slideshow. (Materials fee varies depending on food selected, please contact us to discuss).
- April in Paris – Celebrate spring with this interactive slideshow about all things French. We’ll learn about French food, music, architecture, art, fashion and even perfume. We’ll taste some yummy French foods while listening to traditional French Cabaret music. Vive la France! (Can be either a 1 hour or 90 minute class, plus cost of ingredients) Please provide food prep area (no cooking required), clean-up sink, plates and utensils. Please also provide a computer, TV or projector for the slideshow. (Materials fee varies depending on food selected, please contact us to discuss).
DESSERTS AND TREATS
- Create Your Own Good Fortune – We’ll snack on fortune cookies and tea while discussing goals and dreams that we have for our lives. We’ll talk about ways that we can make our fortunes come true, and how we can overcome obstacles that we might face. We’ll write down our fortunes as a way to remember and help manifest our dreams. (1 hour class plus $1 per person for tea and cookies)
- Candy Making – We will make tasty flavored suckers using candy molds. Sugar-free options are also available (1 hour class plus ingredients) Please provide a microwave, freezer and clean-up sink.
- Gourmet Ice Cream – Create delicious ice cream treats using interesting and unusual toppings, ranging from sweet to savory to spicy. Sure to satisfy your sweet tooth in new ways! 1 hour class to make 3 toppings ($3 per person), or 90-minute class to make 5 toppings ($5 per person). Please provide cooking appliances (varies depending on recipes selected), clean-up sink, plates and utensils.
- The Fruits of Summer– Make 2-3 juicy and delicious recipes using summer stone fruits and berries, with some chocolate and ice cream to make it perfect! Learn some unusual flavor combinations in these easy-to-make recipes. (1 hour class plus ingredients) Please provide a microwave and freezer for 2 recipes, a stove for the 3rd recipe, clean-up sink, plates and utensils
WINE AND CHEESE
- Wine and Cheese: The Perfect Pair – An interactive slideshow. Learn the interesting history and process of wine and cheese making, and the correct way to choose and taste different wines and cheeses. We’ll also learn which wines and cheeses go well together. We will also taste several different cheeses and non-alcoholic wines. (1 hour class plus ingredients) Please provide a computer, tv or projector for the slideshow. Alcoholic wines may be served, if purchased and served by the client.
Back to top
Visit our Holiday Activities page for fun seasonal programs such as
- A Healthier Thanksgiving
- Cookie Decorating and Spiced Cider Making
- Gourmet Ice Cream
- Viva Mexico!
- April in Paris
Back to top
- Recipe Books – This program begins with a wonderful discussion group where people bring the recipes that are meaningful to them, and share the stories and memories that make the recipes so special to them. We then compile the recipes and stories, and publish it as a beautiful professional-looking cookbook. The cookbooks make wonderful heirlooms for family and friends. (Time and cost varies, please contact us for options)
To view our other holiday programs click here