Keeping our bodies active is equally as important as keeping our minds active. Yoga helps us maintain flexibility, strength, balance and endurance. It keeps our muscles toned and our breathing strong. It increases our energy and our mental clarity, and improves our posture. And it helps us gain strength and balance for everyday activities such as reaching, lifting, walking, and climbing stairs. The meditative aspect of yoga also helps us reduce stress in our everyday lives.
And the good news is that yoga can be easily adapted to all levels of physical and cognitive ability! Our instructors have specialized yoga training for senior adults and those with physical and mental challenges. Our programs are designed to use safe, gentle, uncomplicated movements; so even if people in your group have never done yoga before, now they can! We can do all-seated classes, standing classes, or a combination; so even people who use walkers or wheelchairs can do yoga.
We ask that the mats and chairs be provided by your organization (armless chairs work best). Mats are available at local stores starting at $5 each (contact us for more information on where to buy mats). Mats are not needed for seated classes.
- New! Posture Made Perfect – We all know that we are supposed to have good posture, but we don’t always know how to do it. And a lifetime of less-than-perfect posture can be a hard habit to break. Learn proper posture for standing, sitting, walking and sleeping. Getting familiar with how it feels will help you be able to do it on your own. We can also teach you the correct posture for using a walker or wheelchair.
- NEW! Yoga for Golf – Learn how yoga can improve your overall health as well as your golf game. You will learn yoga poses for strength, flexibility, balance and stamina that will help with your golf posture, swing and concentration. Even if you have never done yoga before, and even if you’re not strong or flexible, you can do this class! We will provide a good workout without making it complicated or intimidating.
- Yoga Stretching – A healthy and gentle wake-up for the body and mind. Students will learn stretches and simple yoga poses that they can do on their own to keep their muscles limber, their joints moving, and their minds clear. They will also learn breathing techniques that can be used to energize themselves during that afternoon slump, or calm themselves when they are feeling upset or agitated. This class can be done all-seated, or partially standing. (One time, 45 minute class or ongoing 8-week session)
- Yoga Classes – Our classes are customized to work at the individuals’ different levels of ability, and we adapt the classes to whatever physical challenges they may have. Depending on the number of people who wish to take the class, and their physical challenges, we may recommend splitting the group into two different classes. We would be happy to discuss these logistics with you, to work out the best and safest arrangement. Classes are 45 minutes long. We recommend a minimum 8-week session for the group to become comfortable and familiar with the poses and begin to see advancement.
- Individual Classes – For those who are unable to participate in a group class, we can provide individual classes in their rooms. The classes are adapted to even the most challenging physical conditions.
For information about yoga classes in our Cleveland Heights studio, please visit
Loving Hands Yoga and Reiki at www.LovingHandsYoga.com
View other Classes
Click on the categories below for a full program list