Like all forms of art, music moves each of us in distinctly individual ways. Music is an integral accompaniment to all eras of our lives, past and present. Hearing a song from our past carries us back to that place in time, and reminds us of the sentiments and memories that we associate with it. And listening to a new piece of music stimulates our emotions and inspires our opinions in ways that define who we are and what we believe in. Music is therefore not only a critical component of our history, but also has the power to affect and define our present, no matter what our current living situation might be.
- Music Sing-Alongs – A fun activity for all ages. Our musician plays guitar and sings, while inviting everyone to participate. We also bring small percussion instruments for everyone, to add to the fun! A short discussion of the history behind the songs adds an interesting educational look at songwriting. Create your own theme, choose one of ours, or mix and match! (1 hour program): American Classics, Patriotic, 50s & 60s Rock n Roll, Motown, American Spirituals, Inter-Generational, December Holidays
- Music Group Discussion – A musician performs songs, accompanied by guitar, that are specifically chosen to evoke memory, opinion, or emotion. Discussions are held after each song for the group to share the life experiences that the songs remind you of, and to talk about each person’s opinion of the piece. This gives participants an opportunity not only to share important past experiences, but to also express current viewpoints on several relevant subjects. (1 hour class)
- Good Vibrations – How is sound made? How does it travel through the air? What makes some sounds pleasant and other sounds unpleasant? This interactive class teaches the mechanics of sound vibrations through demonstrations of musical instruments, wind chimes, and our own voices. We will combine science with practical examples, and also have fun singing songs together with a guitar. (1 hour class)
- Musical Autobiographies – This activity starts with a wonderful discussion group where people bring lists of the songs that are meaningful to them, and share the stories and memories that make the songs so special to them. We then compile the songs and stories into a musical chronology of their life experiences on CD. The stories and memories are printed on the CD insert to explain the significance of each song. The CDs make wonderful heirloom gifts for family and friends, and are also excellent topics of discussion where participants learn new things about each other. (Time and cost varies, please contact us for options)
- Holiday Activity – Holiday Sing-Alongs – An hour full of memorable songs that are sure to get your group into a festive spirit! Small percussion instruments are handed out so that everyone can participate.
- Patriotic Sing-Along – Great for Memorial Day, 4th of July, Flag Day and any other patriotic holiday. All those great American songs that we know and love!
- December Sing-Along – You may choose either a Christmas performance or a non-denominational holiday performance. This one is sure to get those bells jingling and those toes tapping! (1 hour class)
To view our other holiday programs click here
View Our Other Classes
Click on the categories below for a full program list