Like all forms of art, music moves each of us in distinctly individual ways. Music is an integral accompaniment to all eras of our lives, past and present. Hearing a song from our past carries us back to that place in time, and reminds us of the sentiments and memories that we associate with it. And listening to a new piece of music stimulates our emotions and inspires our opinions in ways that define who we are and what we believe in. Music is therefore not only a critical component of our history, but also has the power to affect and define our present, no matter what our current living situation might be.
- Holiday Activity Holiday Sing-Along – An hour full of memorable songs that are sure to get your group into a festive spirit! Small percussion instruments are handed out so that everyone can participate. We can do a non-denominational performance, or a combination of secular and religious music. This activity is sure to get those bells jingling and those toes tapping! (1 hour class)
- New!!! Good Vibrations – How is sound made? How does it travel through the air? What makes some sounds pleasant and other sounds unpleasant? This interactive class teaches the mechanics of sound vibrations through demonstrations of musical instruments, wind chimes, and our own voices. We will combine science with practical examples, and also have fun singing songs together.
- Musical Autobiographies – This activity starts with a wonderful discussion group where people bring lists of the songs that are meaningful to them, and share the stories and memories that make the songs so special to them. We then compile the songs and stories into a musical chronology of their life experiences on CD. The stories and memories are printed on the CD insert to explain the significance of each song. The CDs make wonderful heirloom gifts for family and friends, and are also excellent topics of discussion for fellow residents to learn new things about each other. (Total hours vary, depending on number of people in the group and number of songs. Please contact us for an estimate.)
- Music Sing-Along – A fun activity for all ages. Our musician plays guitar and sings, while inviting everyone to participate. We also have small percussion instruments available for everyone to try. Sing-Alongs are available for all ages: older seniors, Baby Boomers, Gen X-ers, and kids. We also discuss the history behind each song for an interesting educational look at songwriting history. (1 hour class)
- Music Group Discussion – A musician performs songs, accompanied by guitar, that are specifically chosen to evoke memory, opinion, or emotion. Discussions are held after each song for the group to share the life experiences that the songs remind them of, and to talk about each person’s opinion of the piece. This gives them an opportunity not only to share past experiences that are important to them, but to also express their current viewpoint on several relevant subjects. (1 hour group discussion)
View other Classes
Click on the categories below for a full program list