We all have stories to tell, just by virtue of just being alive. Every day we have experiences, both large and small, that make us who we are. They test our resolve, they make us see differently, they renew our hope, they make us believe in ourselves and others. These experiences, when accumulated over a lifetime, combine to make each of us into unique individuals with a wealth of valuable lessons and experiences to relay to others. Our professionals can help you record your unique life story, on paper and on video. Computer typing experience is not necessary.
- “Pieces of My Life” – Participants bring various heirlooms, artifacts and memorabilia that are important to them, and explain the stories and significance of each item. This offers opportunities for the participants to learn new things and get to know each other better.
- Getting Started With Legacy Writing – We teach your group how to get started compiling their memoir, ethical will or family tree on your own. They will learn how to gather information, conduct research, organize information and get it down on paper. Students will also learn various publishing/ presentation options. Documenting family photos and possessions will also be discussed. (1 hour class)
Watch the video
Judith discusses Legacy Writing
with the Elder Care Professionals of Ohio Group
- Autobiography/Family History/Memoir Class – We help your group begin writing about the life experiences that they wish to pass on to future generations. This can be their entire life story (an Autobiography), life stories of their family members (A Family History), or selected important personal events they may wish to write about (a Memoir). We help them with writing and organizing, and provide guidelines for editing and publishing. (4 or 8 week class, 2 hours per week. The 4-week class helps them organize their thoughts and start writing. The 8-week class helps them get about halfway through their writing.)
- Writing Your Ethical Will – We help your group write about the lessons, values, beliefs, hopes, and dreams that they have accumulated and developed throughout their lifetime. This is a wonderful way to describe not only what they believe in, but also the reasons why. We help them with writing and organizing, and provide guidelines for editing and publishing. (4 or 8 week class, 2 hours per week. The 4-week class helps them organize their thoughts and start writing. The 8-week class helps them get about halfway through their writing.)
- Researching Your Family Tree – We teach your group how to research and document the various branches of their family trees. We explain the different agencies and websites available for research, and how to organize the information they uncover. We also show them how to incorporate stories, photos, and documents to help tell the story. And we provide options for publishing their family trees once they are finished with their research. (1 hour class)
- Photo/Possession Documentation – We work with people individually to help them organize their photographs into albums and document the names, dates, and places for each one so that their families know who everyone is and where the pictures were taken. We can do the same with their important possessions, documenting the stories about where they came from, and why they are an important part of their life. This information is a very valuable gift to hand down to their families.
View other Classes
Click on the categories below for a full program list