“Food, clothing, and shelter” form the essential triad of our basic needs, creating the platform that allows all other aspects of our lives to flourish. And it is not insignificant that food is the first on the list! The act of eating will always remain our first and most primal need. The long history of our connection with food still manifests itself in our lives today. When we have parties, all of our guests gravitate toward the kitchen. When we get together with friends, we go out for dinner. Our holiday celebrations always have special food dishes associated with them. And the act of cooking allows each of us to connect with our sustenance, impart a piece of ourselves in what we create, and share it with those we love.
- Holiday Activity! Cookie Decorating and Spiced Cider Making – Participants will learn cake decorating techniques to create their own unique cookie decorations. They will also learn how to make yummy spiced cider.
- Holiday Activity! Birthday and Holiday Parties – Have a special occasion coming up? Let us help you put together a party with all the trimmings! We can help you shop for the ingredients, prepare the food and drinks, bake and decorate the cake, and decorate your house for the big day. We can even help you wrap your gifts and make custom cards and bows. Then you get to just relax and have fun with your guests! If you would like, we can also help with clean-up afterward.
- New!!! Have Your Cake and Eat it Too – Learn to make desserts you can feel good about. Lighter and healthier options sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. We will discuss sweetener options and healthy ingredient substitutions. And we will make a recipe to eat in class! You’ll also get a pamphlet of recipes to try on your own.
- New!!! Happy and Healthy – New healthier twists on your old favorite recipes that will leave your taste buds happy…and your waistline too! We will make sample recipes in class, and you’ll also get a pamphlet of recipes to try on your own.
- New!!! Cooking for Brain Health – Learn about foods that help boost focus and memory, and reduce the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease. We will make sample recipes in class, and you’ll also get a pamphlet of recipes to try on your own.
- New!!! International Food and Facts – Sights, sounds and tastes from around the world. Learn about the interesting cultures and customs of different countries, their language and their foods. We will take a slideshow trip around the world, and taste home-made food from two of the countries. (1 hour class plus materials fee)
o Class 1 – Brazil, China, Germany, India, Mexico and Thailand
o Class 2 – Chile, Greece, Greenland, Italy, Tibet and Zimbabwe
o Class 3 – Colombia, Costa Rica, Ethiopia, France, Poland and Turkey
o Class 4 – Burma, Iran, Japan, Peru, Philippines, and Russia
o Class 5 – Argentina, Greenland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and Sweden
- New!!! International Cooking Class – Same as above, focusing on one country and doing a hands-on cooking activity of a typical dish from that country. (1 hour class plus materials fee).
- New!!! Clean Eating – Our food stream is becoming increasingly affected by pesticides, hormones, and genetically-modified foods. Is it possible to still eat “clean”? Yes! Clean eating focuses on fresh, unprocessed, unmodified foods that are in-season and high in nutrients. Learn how to eat clean, how to incorporate healthier clean choices into your diet. You’ll also get a pamphlet of recipes to try on your own. (1 hour class)
- Vegetarianism 101 – Take the confusion out of becoming vegetarian! Learn the benefits of a vegetarian diet, how to get started, and how to get all the nutritional intake you need while following a delicious and nutritious meat-free diet. We will also talk about the environmental and moral reasons why people choose vegetarianism. You’ll also get a pamphlet of recipes to try on your own. (1 hour class)
- Vegetarian Cooking Class – A hands-on cooking demonstration where we prepare and sample a vegetarian dish. You’ll also get a pamphlet of recipes to try on your own. We will also discuss the benefits of a vegetarian diet, and how to get started becoming vegetarian. (1 hour class plus materials fee. Can also be done in a series with different recipes each time.)
- “Healthy Cooking for One or Two” Class – Learn easy ways to cook healthy meals, without a lot of fuss, and without eating the same leftovers every day. You will learn some easy recipes, how to use ingredients to create more than one dish and how to store ingredients and leftovers safely. You will also learn about the importance of healthy eating, and tips for making healthy food choices. And we’ll give you a pamphlet of healthy recipes to try on your own! (1 hour class)
- Recipe Books – We help you gather all of the recipes that are meaningful to you and write down the stories and memories that make the recipes so special to you. We then compile the recipes and stories, along with photographs you want to include, and publish it as a beautiful professional-looking cookbook. The cookbook makes a wonderful heirloom for your family and friends.
- Special Meals – We help you create a special dinner menu from your favorite recipes, including an appetizer, soup, salad, main dish, side dish, vegetable, bread/roll, beverage, and dessert. We then help you prepare the meal for your family (and friends if you wish). You get to serve your delicious, special meal while telling the stories about why these recipes are so important to you. We can also help you shop for the ingredients if needed.
- New!!! A Healthier Thanksgiving – New twists on your favorite Thanksgiving classics. Lighter and healthier versions sure to satisfy you and your guests. We will also learn new recipes that are sure to become “old classics”, and we will make a recipe to eat in class! You’ll also get a pamphlet of recipes to try on your own.
View other Classes
Visit our Services for Caregivers page