Food, clothing, and shelter” form the essential triad of our basic needs, creating the platform that allows all other aspects of our lives to flourish. And it is not insignificant that food is the first on the list! The act of eating will always remain our first and most primal need. The long history of our connection with food still manifests itself in our lives today. When we have parties, all of our guests gravitate toward the kitchen. When we get together with friends, we go out for dinner. Our holiday celebrations always have special food dishes associated with them. And the act of cooking allows each of us to connect with our sustenance, impart a piece of ourselves in what we create, and share it with those around us.
- Holiday Activity Cookie Decorating and Spiced Cider Making – Participants will learn cake decorating techniques to create their own unique cookie decorations. They will also learn how to make yummy spiced cider.
- New!!! Have Your Cake and Eat it Too – Learn to make desserts you can feel good about. Lighter and healthier options sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. We will discuss sweetener options and healthy ingredient substitutions. And we will make a recipe to eat in class! Each student will receive a pamphlet of recipes to try on their own.
- New!!! Happy and Healthy – New healthier twists on your old favorite recipes that will leave your taste buds happy…and your waistline too! We will make sample recipes in class, and each student will receive a pamphlet of recipes to try on their own.
- New!!! Cooking for Brain Health – Learn about foods that help boost focus and memory, and reduce the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease. We will make sample recipes in class, and each student will receive a pamphlet of recipes to try on their own.
- New!!! International Food and Facts – Sights, sounds and tastes from around the world. Learn about the interesting cultures and customs of different countries, their language and their foods. We will take a slideshow trip around the world, and taste home-made food from two of the countries. (1 hour class plus materials fee)
o Class 1 – Brazil, China, Germany, India, Mexico and Thailand
o Class 2 – Chile, Greece, Greenland, Italy, Tibet and Zimbabwe
o Class 3 – Colombia, Costa Rica, Ethiopia, France, Poland and Turkey
o Class 4 – Burma, Iran, Japan, Peru, Philippines, and Russia
o Class 5 – Argentina, Greenland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and Sweden
- New!!! International Cooking Class – Same as above, focusing on one country and doing a hands-on cooking activity of a typical dish from that country. (1 hour class plus materials fee).
- New!!! Clean Eating – Our food stream is becoming increasingly affected by pesticides, hormones, and genetically-modified foods. Is it possible to still eat “clean”? Yes! Clean eating focuses on fresh, unprocessed, unmodified foods that are in-season and high in nutrients. Learn how to eat clean, how to incorporate healthier clean choices into your diet. Each student will receive a pamphlet of clean eating recipes they can try on their own. (1 hour class)
- Vegetarianism 101 – Take the confusion out of becoming vegetarian! Learn the benefits of a vegetarian diet, how to get started, and how to get all the nutritional intake you need while following a delicious and nutritious meat-free diet. We will also talk about the environmental and moral reasons why people choose vegetarianism. Each student will receive a pamphlet of vegetarian recipes they can try on their own. (1 hour class)
- Vegetarian Cooking Class – A hands-on cooking demonstration where we prepare and sample a vegetarian dish. Each student will receive a pamphlet of vegetarian recipes they can try on their own. We will also discuss the benefits of a vegetarian diet, and how to get started becoming vegetarian. (1 hour class plus materials fee. Can also be done in a series with different recipes each time.)
- Recipe Books – This activity starts with a wonderful discussion group where people bring the recipes that are meaningful to them, and share the stories and memories that make the recipes so special to them. We then compile the recipes and stories, along with group photographs, and publish it as a beautiful professional-looking cookbook. The cookbooks make wonderful heirlooms for family and friends. (Total hours vary, depending on number of people in the group and number of recipes. Please contact us for an estimate.)
- “Family Meals” – Small groups of 9 people select an appetizer, soup, salad, main dish, side dish, vegetable, bread/roll, beverage, or dessert from among their favorite recipes. We then purchase the ingredients and guide them as they prepare their recipes for the larger group. We help cook for those who are having difficulty doing it themselves, so that everyone can participate. The cooks then share their Family Meal with the entire group, while talking about the stories and memories that make their recipes special to them. We can then repeat the activity as many days as necessary to allow everyone in the group a chance to cook. (90 minute meal, 5 hour total project, prepared in your facility’s kitchen). We can also gather the recipes and stories into a cookbook, and publish it in a professional format as a keepsake for all the residents (please contact us to discuss pricing for this option).
- “Healthy Cooking For One or Two” Class – For widows, widowers and couples who are able to cook on their own. We teach them how to cook healthy meals without a lot of fuss. They will learn how to prepare easy recipes, how to use ingredients to create more than one dish, and how to store ingredients and leftovers safely. They will also learn the importance of healthy eating, and tips for making healthy food choices. Each student will receive a pamphlet of healthy recipes they can try on their own. (1 hour class)
- New!!! A Healthier Thanksgiving – New twists on your favorite Thanksgiving classics. Lighter and healthier versions sure to satisfy you and your guests. We will also learn new recipes that are sure to become “old classics”, and we will make a recipe to eat in class! Each student will receive a pamphlet of recipes to try on their own.
View other Classes
Click on the categories below for a full program list