We can turn off the radio, we can walk past a museum, and we can choose not to write poetry. But we cannot avoid architecture. Buildings form the backdrop for almost all of our activities: we live in them, work in them, shop in them, and learn in them. Architecture is part of the essential “food, clothing, and shelter” triad. Our experience of the built environment begins when we are young, with memories of our childhood home. It continues through all phases of our lives and becomes an important part of our life experience.
- The Architectural History of Cleveland Part 1 (1835-1931) – An interactive slideshow. Step back through time from an architectural perspective and learn about the buildings that have helped to shape Cleveland’s skyline as well as its rich history. Learn not only about the buildings themselves, but also the stories behind them, and the architects who designed them. (1 hour class) Please provide a computer, tv or projector for the slideshow. This class can also make a fun and interesting guided bus tour for groups. Please contact us to discuss this option.
- The Architectural History of Cleveland Part II (1931-Present) – An interactive slideshow. Continue the fascinating journey through Cleveland history as seen through the eyes of architects and designers. Learn how the Great Depression and the rise of Modernism changed the face of our skyline. Students will learn not only about the buildings themselves, but also the stories behind them, and the architects who designed them. (1 hour class) Please provide a computer, tv or projector for the slideshow. This class can also make a fun and interesting guided bus tour for groups. Please contact us to discuss this option.
- Residential Building Styles of Cleveland Class – An interactive slideshow. Learn how to recognize the characteristics of the prominent residential design styles in Cleveland. Students will learn about the materials and features that make each style unique, the function of various parts of the structure and details, and how to identify each style. It’s a great way to understand the history of the neighborhoods we call home. (1 hour class) Please provide a computer, tv or projector for the slideshow
- An Architect’s Life – An interactive slideshow. Learn what is involved in becoming an architect, what an architect does every day in their job, and all of the things an architect has to know about in order to create beautiful, comfortable and safe buildings. We will also have fun with a hands-on building project. (1 hour class plus $4 per person for materials) Please provide a computer, tv or projector for the slideshow
- Home Adaptability (for individuals living at home) – An interactive slideshow. This program teaches people how their homes can be adapted to accommodate physical and mental health challenges. We will discuss specialty products and construction projects that help people live safely and comfortably in their homes – things like making the bathtub easier to get into, installing door hardware that is easier to grasp, and accommodations for wheelchairs. We will study simple, inexpensive product options for earlier stages of adaptability; all the way up to more complex projects for later stages. This class is helpful for those who wish to Age-In-Place, as well as families who have someone with physical challenges living with them. (1 hour class) Please provide a computer, tv or projector for the slideshow
- Life History Museum (for group communities) – If your building has an extra room or an extra corner in the lobby, we can create a museum display where people contribute artifacts or heirlooms from their lives, or artwork they have created. The stories behind the display items are written out, to explain their significance. This can be either a permanent or temporary installation; and it can be a changing display, where the items on display are varied throughout the year. (Time and cost varies, please contact us for options)
- Garden Structure Design Service – We work with you to design gazebos, arbors, trellises, benches, and/or planters to help beautify your outdoor spaces and incorporate into your garden. (Time and cost varies, please contact us for options)
View Our Other Classes
Click on the categories below for a full program list